barnet young carersCaring and education
Caring responsibilities have a significant impact on a pupil’s learning.
Between 13 % of primary school age & 27% secondary age miss school or experience educational difficulties. 40% where children miss school care for a relative with a substance misuse problem (Dearden and Becker, 2004).
- Young carers may miss school regularly
- They may also be late, this could be frequently and for various reasons, including taking younger siblings to school
- Homework may suffer too, with rushed or incomplete work handed in
- Young carers may find it difficult to concentrate in class or suffer from tiredness, which may be reflected in the work they produce
- Young carers can suffer from emotions such as anxiety, stress and anger which may result in behavioural problems at school
caring can have a huge impact on a young person and their education
If left unsupported, young carers can continue to struggle with school and have significantly lower educational attainment at GCSE level – the difference between nine Cs and nine Ds (The Children’s Society, 2013)
By the time they reach 16 they are more likely than the national average not to be in education, employment or training (NEET) between 16 and 19 (The Children’s Society, 2013)
It may not be possible for young carers to join in with after school activities. Caring responsibilities may prevent them from attending school events that may benefit them
Young carers may find it difficult to be part of a group. This could be because they may be more mature than their peers, or, conversely have less developed social skills.
SOME EFFECTS ON YOUNG CARERS THAT HELP TO CARE FOR A SIBLING:
- They may be reluctant to bring friends home
- If parents are finding it difficult to cope, this may have a negative impact on a sibling
- Siblings may suffer from anger and embarrassment at other people’s reactions
- Siblings may mimic the behaviour of a sibling
- School books and property may be damaged by a brother or sister
WHO ARE YOUNG CARERS?
THE IMPACT OF CARING
CARING AND EDUCATION
CARERS IN SCHOOLS PROGRAMME
Download to support young carers in your school
We have resources for both secondary and primary schools including information booklets, posters and postcards. These are available to download or order here.